© 2018 Fremont Speedway Historical Club  Inc.

  • Twitter Clean
  • w-facebook

Dorothy "Dot" Shilling. Known as "the first lady of racing," Shilling and her husband Joe Stelter, along with Harry Manor, founded Fremont Speedway in 1951. Maynor sold his interest in the track to Frank Jensen in 1952 and Wayne Wall purchased an interest in 1953. Wall sold out in 1954, and Joe and Dot, along with Jensen, operated the track until 1957 when Don Emick purchased Jensen's stock. The Stelters and Emick continued to operate the track until 1960 when Emick sold out, leaving Joe and Dot as the sole owners. After Joe's sudden death in 1962, Dot decided to continue and became one of the few women race promoters in the country. Dot later married Paul Szakovits and he helped operate the track. Dot promoted the speedway until 1976.